Sunday, September 19, 2010

Baptizing Amaru





Since Amaru was born I have been asked the same question repeatedly by some friends and family members: When are you going to baptize him? I find this to be a perfectly acceptable question given my Dominican background and its religious undertones. I also thought that my straightforward "no" answer would suffice and help their question to recede. However, as Amaru approaches the age of three, their worries about Amaru's spiritual's well being have also grown, alongside him. They explain to me the importance of children growing up fearful of God; the absolute necessity of baptizing them so they can be awash of any malignant spiritual force trying to corrode them and derail them from the good path in life. It has also been emphasized to me that children who are not blessed by the touch of this holy water will develop a taste for sin and delinquency. I countered back by explaining that I was baptized, did my first communion, and also did my confirmation, and I can attest that was no free ticket away from painful experiences and the availability of harmful choices around me. I quickly realized that even my most brilliant argumentation against baptism would not remove the preoccupation from their minds.

I am not concerned about my son's spiritual wellbeing because I tell him I love him everyday, several times a day and before he closes his eyes to go to sleep; I can also attest that this process is replicated by many wonderful people in his life who love him and who have made him able to express that love right back. I am not worried about him being seduced by the devil, lucifer or any other malignant spirit, because I try to show him everyday that the only devil we should fear is being mean and cruel to others; I don't think I am starving him of any important premise of spiritual life by not baptizing him, because I am trying to provide him with the pivotal notion of humanity: to love and to stay connected with those around him.

He is a happy little boy who is being given a lot more than some water over his head. I don't believe some droplets of water over anyone's head will rid them from experiencing pain, making the wrong choices and discovering just how hard life can be. Even if I had the choice of salvaging Amaru from experiencing these things, I wouldn't do it. I don't want him to grow up fearing life and what it will bring, I want him to embrace it. I feel the best gift I can give him is the notion that people are and will be the most valuable asset in his life, and that the love he cultivates in the relationships along his life is what will pull him out of the inevitable pain of life. This is how I am baptizing him. So far, so good.

5 comments:

Oliva&Pesto said...

lo mas lindo que he leido en mucho tiempo. Att, Juliana R.

Anonymous said...

So beautiful and so true! Anyone who meets him can immediately tell he's a blessed child! Uncle Hecti

Roxy said...

Agreed 100% My parents made the same choice for me and my brother and I never felt like something was missing. Even more, I feel that I grew up with a lack of fear that wasn't common among those around me. My family taught me about love and knowing that every action had consequences. I always did what I considered to be the right thing, without fearing that some weird spirit or funky light was going to punish me (obviously many mistakes were made along the way). I really thank my parents for giving me the education and values, but also the option to decide.

Anonymous said...

Hello my friend, As a believer and a servant of the Lord, Those that were baptize were adults and the baptizism was a symbol of washing away their sins, The word of God teaches us that once a person goes into the water they are a new creation. Children are born sinless, they were not baptized. I totally agree with you. Christian wait until their child are at least 13yrs.old & older. As a mother we lead by example and you are a wonderful person & mother, what you sow you shall reap.

Anabelle said...

Loved this post! and yes, I totally agree with uncle Hecti, he's blessed child.